Employment Authorization for H4 spouses

As we know that dependents of H-1B visa holders are on H4 visa in US and currently H4 visa holders are not allowed to work in US. However, there is a proposed rule according to which few H4 visa holders will get Employment Authorization and will be able to work. This rule is in proposal stage and is open for public comments. If you want this rule to be passed, we advise you to write your comments and send it to DHS before July 11, 2014.

The summary of the proposed rule (DHS Docket No. USCIS-2010-0017) is given below.
The Department of Homeland Security proposes to extend the availability of employment authorization to certain H-4 dependent spouses of principal H-1B nonimmigrant. The extension would be limited to H-4 dependent spouses of principal H-1B nonimmigrant who are in the process of seeking lawful permanent resident status through employment. This population will include those H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrant if the H-1B nonimmigrant are either the beneficiaries of an approved Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker (Form I-140) or who have been granted an extension of their authorized period of admission in the United States under the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000 (AC21), as amended by the 21st Century Department of Justice Appropriations Authorization Act. This regulatory change would lessen any potential economic burden to the H-1B principal and H-4 dependent spouse during the transition from nonimmigrant to lawful permanent resident status, furthering the goals of attracting and retaining high-skilled foreign workers.

You can read the proposed rule in detail here.
You can also submit comments by any one of the following methods:

Online: Posting your comments here.

Email: Submitting comments directly to USCIS by email at uscisfrcomment@dhs.gov. Include DHS docket number USCIS-2010-0017 in the subject line of the message.

Mail/courier/hand-delivery: To Laura Dawkins, Chief Regulatory Coordinator, Regulatory Coordination Division, Office of Policy and Strategy, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security, 20 Massachusetts Avenue NW., Washington, DC 20529. Telephone (202) 272-8377. To ensure proper handling, please reference DHS Docket No. USCIS-2010-0017 on your correspondence.

There is a Facebook page named ‘H4 visa, a curse’ where they have posted few tips on what you should include in your comments. You can check those tips here.

Please remember that the rule is open for comments only till July 11, 2014.
Post your comment today to support H4 Visa EAD (Work Permit) rule and also ask your H1B Spouse to post!
Share it with your friends on H4 Visa to get the maximum support for this proposed rule!
Let’s do it together to bring the change!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *